Friday, February 12, 2016

Family Day Weekend

In the middle of November I reconnected with an old fitness friend of mine who has since become a personal trainer and she has a wonderful group of people that I am fortunate that they have accepted me into their clan. On one rainy day, I went out with my friend for a short run. I think I may have run 3km that day, and it took about 45 minutes between walking/running and stretching. But she encouraged me to try out some of her classes and join in on some runs with her group.

This group is amazing! We do fun activities all the time. Some nights we'll try new activities like volleyball, racquetball, maybe snowshoeing or whatever. Lots of fun runs are incorporated, sometimes with our own medals and often a theme (rum, cupcakes, winery, BBQ...). They're all absolutely crazy on some level and it's an excellent adventure.

It took a good month or more before I really got hooked into it again, but now I'm back into it deep. I have so many upcoming races and events that I've started a calendar to keep track. It feels fantastic.

So..... onto the weekend!

Saturday was run club. I love Saturday runs. Other than the 8am start. I'm not much of a morning person. Typically I arrive with a grump face but by the end I'm all smiles again. Saturdays we typically run an out and back trail. 45 minutes out, 45 minutes back. Turn around if you're not feeling it. Go at your own pace. I like this because I don't feel pressure to keep up with anyone, or like I'm holding them back. Often I enjoy running on my own. I like meeting people to start, and seeing them at the end, but at this stage I'm happy in my "zone" all alone.


Who wouldn't feel inspired with views like this on a fresh morning

RUN STATS

Distance:   5.16 miles / 8.25 km
Time:         1:03:59
Pace:          12:23 min/mi

This include two longer stops for stretching at 1 and 3 miles, and a bathroom break lol

Sunday is No Sweat day. I actually love this class. It should probably be renamed "No Cardio" class because there is certainly sweating going on. It's a series of moves such as various squats, lunges, bicep curls, calf raises, push-ups, tricep dips... one move after another for an hour. The routine changes every couple of months. When I started this class I could barely do 3 push-ups from my knees. Sunday I did 10, from my toes, followed by another 10 solid ones from my knees.

GO ME!