Sunday, January 23, 2011

My Husband Loves Me

Sunday was race #2 in the trail series I'm doing.  For me it's the toughest course of this series.  And today some of the footing was insanely horrid.

We lined up for the start and the race director informed us "there is water out there, you can't avoid it so don't even try."

Hmmmm .. apparently he hasn't met stubborn Heidi.  :)  Does he not know that I havee pretty much BRAND NEW SHOES ON!!!  I can't be getting those babies soaked to the bone.  I knew they'd get muddy, but soaked ... I don't think so.  I actually looked at my husband and said "Wanna go home?"  I was half joking, half serious - not that he'd ever let me leave - LOL.

So, race starts and I got a clean break.  Last year at this race I got caught in a mob.  Really throughout the whole race I had my own space which was great.  My pace was a little slower than I would have liked to start, but it was steady and I figured I could hold it throughout the whole thing.

This route goes along a crushed gravel path that is slightly soft packed as it's a shared horse trail.  Just after the 3K mark you turn off this trail to a single track narrow dirt trail.  Quite narrow, fairly slippery, some logs to jump over or duck under.  There were a few little puddles but nothing worth the description the race director gave us - until ......

About the 4K mark the trail is completely closed in with blackberry bushes, grasses and trees on both sides.  There is nowhere to go except through the trail.  Suddenly in front of us is the mother of all puddles.  My sweet, dear, loves-me-without-question husband stops, squats down and instructs me to HOP ON.

He CARRIED me through the muddy part.  And when I say muddy, understand that we're talking 8" or deeper swamp puddles with deep, soft, slippery mud and tree roots ... for about 150 feet.  He didn't even hesitate and I didn't ask him to do it ... nor did I turn down his offer either!

After that section it was super muddy for another 1/2 Km.  We were slipping everywhere and I'm still shocked I didn't go down.  There was some walking required to get through safely, alot of very careful tip toeing.  Certainly not ideal conditions. 

And once you broke out of the muddy single track trail and came back onto the gravel horse trail ... up you go.  Though the more I run that hill, the easier it gets.  The first year it nearly killed me, today it just slowed me down some.

And when you get to the top ... you get to do it all again.  Yep, that's right, two loops through the mud bog ... and hubby carried me both times.  Can you say love???  Can you say awwww?

My time was slower than last year by 50 seconds, but I'm not surprised.  I had hoped to improve, but given the conditions I'm pleased.  It was not the day to PR on this course. 

Keep Active!

Heidi

15 comments:

Jessica said...

That is so sweet :D

Demara said...

wow you go girl!! And you DO have the best hubby...lol

dannie chOOng said...

hey hey, congrats for being nominated as one of the "Best Running Blogs 2011" hope to read many more of your fantastic running stories. sending you greetings from Malaysia...

Marcelle said...

This entry totally warmed my heart, found myself reading and when you said he picked you up I let out a laugh, a laugh with total admiration for this wonderful man who loves you...YES he does, that is the kind of thing my man would have also done so cant relate to this good man who will do anything for their woman!!!

50 seconds considering you walked and were carried is GOOD going.

Ex Yo-Yo Dieter Debbie said...

Haha! No falling in the water for you this time!

You've got a great man there!

Kim (Book Worm Runs) said...

What a great guy you have!! :)

Lynsey said...

What a great guy! I think I would've turned back and ran to the start before I'd run through it.

Happy Feet 26.2 said...

awww is right! Sounds like something my hubby would do, but he is really fast so he probably wouldn't have been around to help. I guess this is why I'm mostly a road runner. Mud is NOT my friend. Great race!

Anonymous said...

yay heidi!

Missy said...

Sounds like an interesting race! Oh the obstacles. What a sweet husband you've got!

Fran said...

Now that's true love! What a great guy, don't forget to tell him that!

I think you did great, considering the mud and all. Well done!

Anonymous said...

That is true love, my hub and I would prob take turns trying to push the other one in the mud puddle! ;) Congrats on your race, glad you didn't go home!

ajh said...

This one made me smile!

Anonymous said...

I love that your hubs carried you over the puddle. That is the sweetest! Sounds like a fun trail race!

Nej said...

Awwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!