Monday, April 12, 2010

Heidi's Springtastic 10K - RECAP

WOW, what an awesome race!!!  I must say, I should seriously consider becoming a race director.

The distance was bang on - exactly 10K.  The water stations were EXACTLY where I needed them.  The footing was great.  There were a few challenging hills.  It was an interesting route with lots to see along the way.  The starting corral was amazing, no crowding at all - which made for a fantastic start.  The only thing that was really lacking was traffic control.  It was like it was non-existant.  Although there was only really one place where I needed it.  Ahhhh, a perfectly planned race.  Heeheeee!

and the results:

1st in age group
1st female runner
1st overall
and ... course record holder.

Really?  Does it get any better than that??!! ;)

To top it all off it was an incredibly beautiful day.  Although I overdressed a bit and it got rather hot.  But I'm not complaining.  I'd rather be a little warm with sun beaming in my eyes than to have the rain dripping off my eyebrows like I did last week!

I finished my 10K in 52:42!  8:30/mile pace.  I have finished that distance a few seconds faster in the past, but I don't really count that one because my phone rang half way thru and I had to stop my watch to take the call.  This, however, is my FASTEST non-stop 10K.

The first mile and a half I did UNDER 8 min/mile, and that included one hill.  I was smokin'!  I have to plug the Garmin into the computer to get my splits.  First though I need to buy a new mouse as ours passed away over the weekend.  RIP Mousy!

Not bad considering I haven't really had much running happening the last couple weeks.  Miles 3 to 4 were the hardest.  I felt really tired and just wanted to be done!  I know that's due to my lack of training.  But after that my competitive spirit picked up and I could feel my drive coming back.  Now I want to kick it in to high gear and see what I can do for next month's race.

A year ago I ran my first 10K in 59:22 and was ecstatic to be under an hour (race report here).  I feel like I've come a long way in a year.

Next month I am registered for a massive 10K race - the Vancouver Sun Run which last year had about 56,000 participants.  Although the start is in waves, it's, as you can imagine, pretty crowded.  Last year the first mile was spent weaving through throngs of people and after that it only slightly subsided to frequent dodging.  With that in mind, my goal for this years race is to finish in about the same time as I did yesterday.

The sun is shining and I plan to do another 10K-ish run today.

Have a wonderful day!

Heidi
♥♥♥♥♥

17 comments:

Missy said...

Isn't it a great feeling to come in first ;o)

Great job lady!! You are FAST!

Lynsey said...

I want your times. I'm so slow!

Marlene said...

I've heard about the Vancouver Sun Run - it's huge! I can only imagine what it's like running in those crowds. That's more people than the Disney MARATHON!

Congrats on your awesome 10K!

Fran said...

Congrats on a great race! Such a great time, I could never keep up with you, I'll eat your dust :)

You're a true runner!

Thanks for organizing this Springtastic, if it wasn't for you I would probably not have run that 10K yesterday!

Syl said...

you did amazing Heidi, and to come in first place...well that's not suprising at all :-)

Great work my friend!

kimert said...

Way to go on an awesome race!

Tricia said...

whoohooo thats awesome!

And here is the link to the coverup/dress

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/swim/womens/coverups/PRD~580771/Portocruz+Circle+CoverUp+Dress.jsp

I LOVE it, its super comfy.

Suzy said...

Congrats on a great race!! And you are fast.

KK @ Running Through Life said...

Hands down huge CONGRATS to you!!!!!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!! You are super inspiring!!! I am glad you had a fabulous race!!!!

Teamarcia said...

WTG on a great race! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

wonderful! that is a great time! good job!

Anonymous said...

LOL - I loved your race recap! And what an awesome finishing time! You should be proud! :)

Unknown said...

Wow - what a great race/results! Think you can pull off 'first place' finishes at the Sun Run? :o) Although it's super crowded, I always find the Sun Run a fun one...

ajh said...

You rocked that race! Woo Hoo!

Jen, a priorfatgirl said...

HOLY PACE! Way to totally push through that race! Congrats Heidi!

Sarah said...

Way to go! Sounds like a great race. :)

Angela said...

Sounds like a fabulous race--way to come in first! =)