All is pretty good in my world. Here's a bullet point list of what's going on with me:
* Had one glorious day of warm sunshine in March and took the doggies on a 3 hour walk. Exhausted them, but we all enjoyed ourselves thoroughly!
* Went away for the weekend to visit my husband's friend for this 70th birthday. It snowed a couple inches ... April Fools! This spring has been weird.
* Also went camping for 5 days over the Easter weekend. Weather was gorgeous and I went out for lots of walks with the dogs. Despite the typical camping diet, I somehow managed to drop a couple pounds. This seems to be typical for a while now. Perhaps something is telling me I need to vacation more????
* Haven't attended as many fitness classes this past month. Lots of stuff getting in the way and other pressing matters that had to be attended to.
* However ..... have done a couple runs (5K-ish). A friend convinced me to try out a run club she found. I've gone once. The people seem nice, even if it did just end up that my friend and I ran alone. I'll go to a few more before I decide if the group is for me or not. But the positive thing is I've done some running!!!
* I'm strongly considering entering a small race. The above group hosts a little run at a location I've never been to, but always wanted to go. It's only $10 so I figure why not go and just do it. I'm not in 10K shape so will be taking it slow and walking as necessary. You're not even allowed watches for this race as they do a prize for whoever can guess their time closest. I will surely be well over an hour.
* The biggest positive .... I have FINALLY gotten myself into the massage therapist! I've been struggling with significant foot pain for quite a while (a good year). It's the same issue I've had for a while and if left it just gets worse and worse. However, funds didn't allow me to go for most of last year so I pushed it aside, and also didn't do any self treatment which was downright stupid. Recently it's been really bad and I was struggling to get through short walks, runs were excruciating, and had to stretch frequently during fitness classes. My therapist said I'm developing plantar faciitis. If you look at what causes it, there are many factors that I fall under, including:
- very tight calf muscles
- not wearing supportive footwear at all times (yes I run in good shoes, but my daily shoes are crap)
- overweight (duh, this seems to be a no-brainer)
I've been in for a couple treatments now and have at least a couple more to go, but I'm already seeing significant improvement. My therapist did use this tool (I'll have to find out what it's called) as he said I have a fair amount of scar tissue in my arch. Let me tell you ... this thing is the DEVIL, but an Angel at the same time. The first time he used it I literally bit my arm and held in the biggest cursing spree ever. It was easily the most pain I have EVER felt. The 2nd session I was a little more prepared, but it still hurt SO much. I told him repeatedly how much I hate him. He smiled :). But whatever that tool is, it seems to have made a big difference because I'm in way less discomfort already and have minimal to no pain in the morning for the last few days.
I know once I get through this more intensive treatment I will have to go in on a regular basis for maintenance. This shouldn't be a problem from now on. I have a date with the devil today ... yay! ( <---- sarcasm)
So that's where I'm at right now. I am still desperately seeking that running spark, but at least the flame is still there.