Fitting in these long runs is often difficult with my schedule. This weekend it meant we had to leave the house just before sunrise (7AM). I was certain we would turn into instant popsicles. But, was surprised (and happy) to realize that while it was cold out, it wasn't so bad. In fact, 3 miles in I happened to be running by a friend's house so I took off my jacket and gloves and left them at their door. They're currently being held ransom until I come for a visit - haha.
While our last long run was difficult and I was frequently sore ... this one felt great for me. It was a gorgeous sunny day, the route was enjoyable and constantly changing. We ran through rural farm country and downtown city. Loved it!
Also, there wasn't a single ache or pain along the way. Some stiffness afterwards, but normal, not excessive.
Tried a new running fuel:
Sun Rype Fruit Source Mini Bites
The things I loved about them:
- Cheap! A package of them is $2.97 and I'm guessing you get about 5 servings out of that. So ... 60 cents per serving. I like that!!!
- Taste fantastic. No chemical, crap, choke-it-back-and-hope-for-the-best taste OR aftertaste. YUMMY!
- Ingredients: All fruit + citrus pectin. This is what's in the Strawberry flavour- Apple and/or pear and strawberry puree concentrates, apple and/or grape and/or pear and elderberry and lemon juice concentrates, citrus pectin, natural flavour, apple powder.
- Convenient. You pick the serving size. Take however much you want, stick 'em in a baggie and you're good to go.
- Not too hard or sticky. You know how some products stick in your teeth and stay forever? These didn't (as approved by my friend with braces). And while it wasn't below freezing, it was close, and the bites didn't get too hard to chew.
- Size - they are perfect bite size. Not too big, not too small.
- Potassium- each serving (14 pieces) has 200mg of potassium.
I got home with enough time to re-fuel, warm-up and have a good shower before heading out to watch my son's soccer game. He scored a goal too!!! WOOHOOO. He plays defense so in 11 years that hasn't happened very often. Unfortunately I missed it. GRRRR! I almost never leave a game but I think all the fluids I consumed during & after my run caught up with me and I had to walk away for 5 minutes. He scored 1 minute after I left. Apparently it was a good one too. Figures!
Consumed during run: 3 water bottles filled with Gatorade, Sun Rype Fruit Source Mini Bites
Immediately after run: 2 mini spritz cookies, 3/4 c. pasta, banana, chai tea
Approx 2 hours later: No time to eat. At soccer. Not super hungry anyway.
Stomach issues: No emergencies, but two stops. Is it possible I'm getting over the tummy troubles?
Muscles: Good! Normal stiffness a couple hours later, but feeling good today.
Things to try on next long run: I may have found my formula! I'm going to try the same on my next long run, but try to have enough time for a pre-run mini meal.