Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Shoe Fitting and an Owie

Yesterday I mentioned that I did something kind of exciting recently.  Pretty sad when this equals excitement in my life.

I finally went for another shoe fitting!  While I've been happy with my shoes, I also find myself currently suffering for the third time this year of a similar injury (January 2010, April 2010).  My left leg has been S-O-R-E since (and during) my long run this past Saturday.  The trigger areas are behind my left knee and in the arch of my left foot.  I can only assume that it's the same extremely tight calf muscle that caused similar pains before. 

Each time I've had my feet assessed, I've been told that I should probably be wearing a neutral shoe, however my left foot could possibly use some support. 

For this shoe fitting, the young male was very knowledgeable and thorough.  I could tell he was young-ish, but I was quite impressed when I learned that he was just 17.  This kid knew his stuff!

He told me the current shoe I'm wearing IS a very good fit for average running.  However, when pushing into higher mileage & frequent training as I've been doing, it's not enough support - especially as the shoes near the end of their life cycle (currently at 440 miles).

His #1 suggestion for me is the Brooks Adrenaline GTS.  I've never considered a Brooks shoe, but let me tell you ... they felt GOOD!  I have loved my Mizuno's (neutral), but when I tried their version of a support shoe it felt very awkward.  I will be getting a pair of these shoes.


I also tried on the Mizuno Wave Rider's.  These are very similar to my current Mizuno's (which they no longer make that model).  I still love these shoes.  I'm seriously considering getting a pair of these as well, and then alternating shoes.  Currently I wear the same shoes on EVERY run, which really isn't the greatest idea when you're running frequently.  Certainly it can't be good to pound them that often, many times in the rain, and then wear them again the next day.  If I get both pairs I should be able to get through most of the next year without needing another pair ... I hope!
 

I also got myself one more item.  We went to another store, where I had won a gift certificate at a race earlier this year.  A nifty little running hat came home with me, complete with a pony tail hole.  So cool!

Here is some more info on it.  DRYLINE PONYTAIL TOQUE

It was a welcome addition to Saturday's long run when it began to snow during the last 9 miles of the run.

I don't know what the next few days hold out for me.  I need to run 60 miles in the next 10 days to reach my running goal for this year.  Under normal circumstances I could totally do this, but with this injury I'm not sure.  I'm stretching as often as I can, and tonight will do a short trial run on the treadmill to see how I feel.  I've already scrapped the prospect of another 20+ mile run this year, but I'm not yet giving up on the goal. 

Keep Active!

Heidi
♥♥♥♥♥

6 comments:

Marlene said...

Sounds like it was very worthwhile. Trust the experts!

I have a ponytail hat and I have to say, it looks pretty funny now that my hair is short and I don't actually HAVE a ponytail. :)

Terri said...

Injuries stink, I love Brooks shoes (I even had a dog named Brooks one time, after the shoes!) and the hat is too cute! :)

Angela said...

I recently got my first pair of Brooks shoes (Trance 9), and I LOVE them! Love the hat with the ponytail hole...what a great idea.

Julie said...

Hi Heidi,
I am so far behind on my blogging and commenting! I wanted to stop in and wish you a very merry Christmas! Hugs to you:)

Unknown said...

Just found your blog...I hope your new shoes workout for you. Getting fitted is the best thing I ever did for my running. Oh, and I just got a ponyhat and love it! It's a must for winter running. Happy Holidays!

Fran said...

Oh no!!! Not another injury. I'm so sorry for you Heidi, I hope it heals soon, you don't deserve this again!

Can you believe I bought new running shoes today?
Guess what they are ........... yes the same Brooks as you bought :)

I have the same Brooks in red and I use Asics but I found out that my calf issues are worse when I wear the Asics. So I'm going to try to sell these and bought the same pair of Brooks I already had.