Friday, October 22, 2010

Fluffy Puffy Friday

What a sluggish run last night - ugh! I knew something was off when I got home from work and took off my boots.  My legs had major indents in them and were all puffy.  About 5 minutes into the run, my leg muscles felt SO tight.  I stopped to stretch and noticed that my lower legs looked like marshmallows.  I did a nice long stretch and massaged my legs a bit.  By the end of the run, they were back to normal.  Strange!  I also felt more energized after the run, but that's not unusual.

I don't know if it is hormone related, lack of water, something to do with running hills the night before ... or it just is.  I'm betting a pair of compression socks probably would have helped (wish list!).


This afternoon I am going swimming!  I'm NOT a swimmer, though I can swim.  But I have a friend who's asked me a few times lately and it just hasn't worked out.  Not sure how I'll feel about it, but I'm going to give it a try and see.

It's another rainy weekend here on the Wet West Coast.  Actually, I can't complain much, we've had some pretty good weather lately.  But Saturday they are calling for 30-40mm (1 - 1.5") of rain and Sunday is projected for 50+ mm (2"+).  I'd like to run 11-12 miles this weekend, but I might postpone it until midweek.  Rain is one thing, running under Niagra Falls is another!

Sounds like a good weekend to do some cooking.  I have a huge box of apples from our trees that I plan to dehydrate.  Also a batch of browning bananas that could be made into some bread.  There's also the West Coast Women's Show on which I have gone to every year since it started.  I wasn't planning to go this year due to lack of funds, but now I'm thinking if I just keep it to the entry cost I might still enjoy it.  Tara-Jean & Vincent from So You Think You Can Dance Canada are going to be there and I'm not sure I can miss that.

Have a great weekend
Keep Active!

Heidi
♥♥♥♥♥

8 comments:

Marcelle said...

Those legs sound painful...I remember running once with sore legs...its not nice at all..amazing that they looked back to normal after the run.
I could not run today as my calves are painful..but have blogged about it so wont repeat and bore u.

Enjoy the swimming,...its a good way to train all over body....and so exhausting.

Have a good weekend cooking, I am hoping to fit a run in, got my nails tomorrow and then its packing and fitting gifts and 2 months of clothing into 20kgs!!

Marlene said...

Very strange about your puffy legs! Hopefully that won't happen again.

Enjoy the weekend - hope you don't get too soaked!

jamie@sweatyhugs said...

So strange about your puffy legs. I have no idea what it could have been. Hmmm? I just bought my first pair of compression sleeves last weekend. They seem to work fairly well.

Enjoy your weekend. Can't wait to hear how how swimming went!

misszippy said...

Suffering for fashion! Sorry about all the rain--it gets old.

ajh said...

What a great picture!

Fran said...

Strange about the legs, never had that but glad to hear they were back to normal after the run.

It's supposed to rain here too tomorrow so I'll wait till tomorrow to make my decision about how far I will run. I will run but if it rains very hard I'll shorten the run.

You should go to that night, an evening out is good for everybody and you totally deserve that.

Thanks for the email, I'm getting back on it tomorrow.

Julie said...

Ha ha! How did you get that picture of me in the water:) That is so funny...I am not a swimmer either and always get the worst anxiety when I get into a pool! Good luck to you and cheers for being brave enough to give it a try! Happy Weekend Heidi!

Nej said...

I would LOVE to do triathlons, but am not a swimmer. I suppose I could get myself to dry land, for survival sake....but that's about it. And it wouldn't be pretty. :-)