Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Clif Shot Bloks Review

Last week on my longest run to date, I tried another running fuel product - Clif Shot Bloks

from the website:

CLIF SHOT takes a streamlined approach to performance nutrition – delivering only what your body needs most while training and racing. Our all-natural and organic ingredients help provide clean and natural performance for essential energy and hydration, plus fast muscle recovery.
My friend had a sample pack from a race in the US that looked like this:


Though when I check out our local running stores I see packages like this:
Things I liked: 
  • Taste great!
  • Texture is good.  Not slimy, no grit, no stickyness - nice & smooth.
  • Don't stick to your teeth much as other products I've tried.  My friend has braces however and the residue did last a little longer for her, but it did "melt" away unlike some other products that hang out until you find a toothbrush.
  • 3 bloks on a 16 mile run and my energy felt good.  Not sure if it was solely from these, but I do think they helped.
 Things I didn't like: 
  • Size - they're way too big.  I put one blok in my mouth and the plan was to just let it melt itself away as apparently I'm coordinated enough to talk & run, but not to chew & run.  For quite a while I had a big lump sitting there in my cheek and it took probably a full mile to melt away.  I think I'd rather cut these in half and take two.
  • The bloks are joined together (I think in groups of 3 ... don't quote me on that though).  This is probably fine, but it was somewhat cold and we had left them in a steel mailbox.  So by the time we went for our 2nd block, for the life of us, we could not break those suckers apart.  Twist, turn ... nothing!  We decided to say "screw it!" and popped a double blok in.  Let me tell you ... I didn't think I could chew & run before, this was impossible with two bloks in there.  I literally could not get a word out with that hunk in there.  Which of course sent us into hysterics, nearly laughing the thing out.  I gave up and chewed the thing as fast as I could.  Ideally I'd rather savour the flavour a little longer.
 Would I try them again?


Absolutely!  The only real obstacle was the size and that is easily overcome.  Next time they will certainly be cut at least in half and instead of taking one every 6 miles, I'd like to take half every 3 miles.


These are the flavours they come in: 
  • Black Cherry
  • Cola
  • Cran Razz
  • Lemon Lime
  • Margarita
  • Mountain Berry
  • Orange
  • Strawberry
  • Tropical Punch
 What I want to try:




MARGARITA baby!!!!  YUM.  I love me a lime margarita and this is #1 on my list of products I want to try.  However, I've yet to see it in stores here.  With my luck it's not sold in Canada, but I'll keep looking, and if I ever get some room on that Visa card I'm placing an order.
 

 


 
The other flavour that intrigues me is COLA, which contains 50mg of caffeine.  Sounds like a good combination to me.  Again, I haven't seen it here but I gotta find it!






If anyone knows where I might be able to find these flavours in a store I'd love to know. 

Keep Active!

Heidi
♥♥♥♥♥


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think i tried these, but i cant remember what i thought of them! lol

but the margarita and cola flavour do sound exciting! might have to give them a try next running season!

Marlene said...

I'm a fan of these, though I prefer Gu Chomps. The texture is a little softer and I find them easier to chew/swallow on the run.

Nej said...

My complaint is the same as yours...they are way to big. But, besides that, I love 'em. I didn't know they had Margarita flavor...must find it! :-)

Anonymous said...

The visual of the "big hunk" cracked me up!

Lori
-77 lbs and counting

kimert said...

Dude, I am all over a margarita either pre run or during as fuel....even if it has to be in the form of a shot blok! lol
Thanks for the review!!

Anonymous said...

Oh margarita?! That sounds like the perfect mid run flavor! LOL! I am huge fan of shot blocks. I like to take them in between taking gu's as a change of pace. Glad you like them.

Fran said...

We can't buy that here but it sounds good.

Just read your guest post at Syl's blog. Love it!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Oh the funny pictures that post painted! You probably looked like a construction worker with his tobacco in his cheek.

I have them but haven't used them yet. Glad for the heads up on the size issue!