Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A race AND a long run?

Yesterday I mentioned that I ran with my husband on Sunday.  That wasn't what was in the plans.  I was supposed to go out and do 4-5 miles on my own, then meet up with my running ladies and do another 7-8 - for a total of 12. 

Unfortunately one by one, the ladies cancelled and I was left on my own.  So I was happy that hubby decided to come along.  Except .... he had work to do and only wanted to go out for about an hour.  I should have taken a seperate vehicle and ran on my own after he left.

And I guess alternatively I should have continued my run after we got back home.  But once I stop, I have a really hard time getting going again.  I need to get past that.  We did run pretty fast for the last half of our run though and I didn't have it in me to do more that day.

I had wanted to do 2 long runs between this past weekend and the half (which is now 2 1/2 weeks away).  But this coming weekend I have a trail race (8Km/5miles) so I don't want to do a long run the day before that, and then darn work gets in the way.

I'm sort of considering running home after the race this weekend.  It's 7.8 miles from the race location to home, so this would give me a total of 12.8 miles (unless the race is slightly longer than posted, which is probable).

Is this too much to fit in a day after running a race?  I will be running this race as hard as I can as it is the last one in the series and I think I can get a pretty good time on this trail.  If I do do it, I will be sure to take it VERY easy on the run home and even walk if needed.  The more I think about it, the more I think I can do this, if I do it smart.

Right now I'm planning to fit in my last long run on the Friday of the weekend before the half - 9 days before the race.  I don't really have any experience in tapering and all that and am flying by the seat of my pants.  I've reveiwed various training plans and have built my plans around those and my personal schedule.  For the races I've done so far (5-10K) I usually try to do about a 4-5K easy paced run two days before the race, then complete rest the day before.  That seems to leave my legs fairly rested without leaving me feeling sluggish.

All I know is I have to do the best I can with the time I have available, and not waste a moment!

Oh, and here's a little recipe I threw together the other day.  We had leftover plain spaghetti so I took one cup, chopped it up into bite size pieces.  Sauted a bunch of broccoli and red pepper in a bit of olive oil.  Added the chopped spaghetti.  Then added 1 tsp. soy sauce, 1/4 tsp sugar & 1/2 tsp sesame seeds.  It was SOO good.  Some shrimp or chopped chicken would make this the perfect meal.  It was quick, easy and a good way to use up a bit of leftovers.



Hope everyone had a great day!

Heidi
♥♥♥♥♥

6 comments:

Gina said...

I love using leftovers! I think as long as you listen to your body, you could go for the 12.8 miles. I would probably bring my phone just in case its too much! Good luck:)

kimert said...

Your creation looks so good and even sounds yummy! Another one to add to my list of things to try! :)

Good luck with the run! I have no advice but I know if you feel confident you will do great!

ajh said...

I think running home from the race sounds great as long as someone brings home any stuff you would need to carry. Is that a problem?

Missy said...

YUM - that recipe sounds great!!

OldGoogleAccount said...

Hmm. I have nothing to offer on the training plan because I'd be resting for a couple of days before a half for sure and I don't think you would agree. You work out way harder than me. But that's not hard to do. :)

Recipe looks great! I don't eat enough pasta.

Fran said...

You're a much better runner than I am so I'm not really helpful here but my first thought is to listen to your body. If it says it's okay to do that long run afer race day I would go for it if I were you.