Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Food Thieves

The other day I posted that I was going to do some prep work on the weekend for the week ahead.

This is what I had planned and how it worked out:
  • Another fruit salad - done, and nearly gone (see below)
  • Raw veggies - done
  • Teriyaki Chicken Stir-fry - postponed
  • Another pasta dish - postponed
  • Hard boil eggs - done
  • Double batch steel cut oats - half done
  • Chop peaches for morning oats - done
Mostly a success, some issues.

I decided to postpone making the stir fry & pasta dish because I looked at my week and realized that I had time to do that mid-week.  Plus, I decided to make a huge batch of Black Bean Soup, which will last me for a few days. 

I ran into a bit of a problem making a double batch of oats as I found I was ... almost out!  So I made what was left in the container and that will have to do until next shopping day.

The fruit is almost a funny story!  I cut up:
  • two HUGE cantaloupes
  • a large honeydew melon
  • a pineapple
  • 5 POUNDS of strawberries 
This went into two massive containers, plus I filled up a container for Monday's lunch. 

Later that evening, my son was searching for food and I told him there was some cut up fruit.  He is a MAJOR sugar-holic and we've been a bit on his case lately.  So he grabbed the fruit and made a yoghurt-cool whip dip.  Much better than anything else he would have had.

In typically teenage boy fashion ... he ate almost half of what I had prepared.  Then my daughter came home from swimming with a friend and ate some.  Then my husband came home and got into it.

On Monday morning all I had left was:
  • 4 strawberries
  • 3 - 1" x 2" slices of honeydew
  • 6 - 1" x 2" slices of cantaloupe
On one hand I'm ecstatic that my family is eating all this healthy fruit.  But on the other ..... so much for my prepped meals.  The other food I prepared is safe though because they won't touch it.  I stopped at the produce store on the way home last night for restocking. Guess I'll have to cut up alot more.

I'm feeling icky today.  Last night my sister's BIL was supposed to come into town for work and I had agreed to make him cookies (there's a back story to this).  So I made up 3 batches last night.  Only to get a call saying his work schedule had changed and he wouldn't be in town. 

If you've been reading this blog for a while you know that I have issues with binging on cookie dough while baking.  I did pretty good last night and just had a taste of each dough to make sure it was OK.  But this morning .... breakfast was 3 chocolate chip cookies (they are pretty small) and a peanut butter chocolate no-bake oat cookie.  I feel gross!  I skipped regular breakfast because I just couldn't have something else on top of that.  It surprises me a little how full that made me feel.  I'm going to remember this feeling when I get home and they're facing me again.  The good thing is my piggy family will consume what's left within the next 24 hours so the temptation won't last.

REMINDER....

Today is Jen @ Prior Fat Girls Challenge

If she can get 500 people to commit to doing 60+ minutes of activity on April 20th, Tony the Anti-Jared, will donate $250 to YMCA Activate America.

I'll be doing 60+ minutes today to support this cause.  I'm not even an American, but still, I think this is a good cause worth supporting and really it couldn't be any easier.  A healthier world benefits everyone!

Will you????

PS - If you aren't a blogger but you do 60+ minutes of activity today, sent me a note and I'll let Jen know you've helped out her cause.

Heidi
 ♥♥♥♥♥

6 comments:

Marcelle said...

Hello...and LOL at the fruit situation.
Do you find that the family always want to eat YOUR diet foods - they can have anything they want but always like MOM'S diet food...happened to me time and time.

I cant bake, have tried once, was fun,but not something I ever think about, in my house if I bake - I will eat...so no baking...

My updated blogs will no longer appear on your feedreader now that I am private...xx

Marlene said...

Mmmm, all of that fresh fruit souinds delish! I hope your family saves you some next time.

Syl said...

cookies are the devil!

My kids were at a function about a month ago and there was a table full of food, my kids devoured the ENTIRE fruit platter, I was so embarrassed, but better than cookies I guess :-)

Fran said...

I agree with Syl: cookies are the devil but they are sooooooooooooo good, especially the home-baked ones so I would have done the same as you.

As for all the chopping of the fruit, next time be selfish and don't tell your family about it :lol:

Kyle and Darci said...

i have a problem w/cookie dough too!!

wow...sounds like you have a bunch of fruit lovin' family members!! ;)

Michelle said...

I know this sounds horrible, but that is how I stopped eating candy. I ate it until I felt sick and anytime I would look at Sour Patch Kids I get that stomach churn and walk away.

Great job on the food prep!