Thursday, August 25, 2011

Action Plan! Are you in?????

WOW, I'm an idiot.  All those years in Honours Math (with a minimum of a B) have obviously not served me well in my adult years.  Apparently I can no longer do simple math.

Yesterday I said that I had gained 21 lbs.  Later in the day I was thinking about it and realized my math was wrong.  It's "only" 17.6 lbs.  OK, so not a whole lot better, but maybe not quite as bad.  Actually, it does make me feel a little less of a failure.

So, I've been chatting with Syl about doing a September Challenge.  There also seems to be a number of my bloggers buddies out there who are currently struggling in one way or another.  Maybe we all need some sort of a challenge.  I'm doing this for me, but would love the support of a few friends.  Anyone who wants to join in is welcome.





Here's the gist of it:

  • Challenge runs from September 1 - 30
  • First week of September you will record a time for a cardio challenge (run or bike or whatever cardio form you'd like to challenge) over whatever distance suits your fancy.  The last week of September you will challenge this same route/distance and record your improvement.
  • Same thing with a few strength, flexibility, and maybe endurance tests.  These will all be posted by the end of this month.
  • You will also record weight & measurements at the beginning and end of the month.  No need to report them if you are not comfortable with that, but it would be interesting to see everyone's results.  I'd also strongly recommend taking a picture of yourself from various angles at the beginning and end of the month.
  • You will earn points for activities (i.e. min 30 min activity, completing a strength workout).  More importantly (for me and maybe some of you), you will also earn points for staying within your chosen diet.
  • You can do whatever you choose for training along the way, but I will suggest some challenges along the way for bonus points.

I will create a Google spreadsheet for us all to keep track.

This is NOT a challenge against each other.  Rather just working together towards success.  The earning of points is simply for inspiration.

Also, it's completely open to whatever your personal choices are.  For example, my cardio challenge will be a timed 5K and 10K, and I will be following the Weight Watchers plan.  Someone else might be to improve their time on a half marathon, or 10K of cycling.  And maybe their eating plan will be counting calories, or South Beach or something they have personally developed to suit their needs.  The idea is to have a plan, and follow it.

So .... are you in??

Heidi
♥♥♥♥♥

7 comments:

Syl said...

you already know I'm in...be gentle on me ;-), ok DONT ;-)

Fran said...

I think I'm in but I'm going to think about how I'm going to do this concerning the food intake. And it's difficult for me to time myself in a cardio thing at the beginning and end of the month at a certain distance because I'm in the middle of my half marathon training but going to check my plan tomorrow and see what's possible.

I'll let you know tomorrow but I think I'm in.

Marlene said...

17 is better than 21! It's like you lost 4 lbs in one day. :)

Good luck on your September challenge!

Missy said...

17 is way better - it's in the teens which is not that much. Yay for math mistakes ;o)

I AM IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looking forward to more details!

Fran said...

I'm in, I will email you the details.

xxx

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a great challenge for you Heidi. You can add me to your list -- but I think I'd more interested in getting points for the 30 mins activities...and not so much on the timing aspect. Well maybe I will still do that part, just not think too much about it. With the marathon coming up I'm trying to freak myself out!

Anonymous said...

I am SO in! I've been stuck at the same weight for too long!