Sunday, March 29, 2009

Registered for the Sun Run

Finally, I got myself (and my husband and son) registered for the Sun Run. Now my sister doesn't have to kill me. I'm still very apprehensive about being in a crowd with that many people, but the actually running part doesn't worry me at all. I'd like us all to carry a cell phone so we can find each other afterwards.

Had my last local trail run today for a while as next weekend I'll be at my parents doing a 10K race. Then the following weekend is Easter and we are probably going to be away (...somewhere). I'll still run, but I have no idea where. Then the following weekend is the Sun Run. I'm looking forward to seeing my sister, even if it is only for a few days.

Today's run was great. My husband went with me, and I always enjoy when he comes along. We ran by ourselves most of the time and I'm guessing we did about 12 Km of running and another 2 Km of walking. Kept it at a nice, casual pace and ran the whole thing except for a bathroom/stretch break at the halfway mark.

RECIPE REVIEW: Twice now I've made Sticky Chicken from the ESBM cookbook. The first time I got mixed reviews and it was pretty much the same this time. My husband said it was good (though he didn't rave about it so I know it's not outstanding). I thought it was not bad, though not my favourite thing. My son said it was OK, as in it's edible but he'd prefer something else. My daughter said it was disgusting (she's normally not the fussy one). So I think that one will be retired from the collection. It may be that there was too much fresh ginger in it, or perhaps the wine vinegar was to much. Everyone agreed that it does NOT smell good while cooking.

Also made a black bean & corn salad. Kind of followed a recipe and kind of did my own thing. I didn't love the dressing, I thought it was too much lime. But I fussed with it for a bit and it seemed to turn out OK. The dressing ended up being 1/2 c. lime juice, 1/4 c. olive oil, 1 tsp cayenne, sea salt, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tblspn ketchup, 2 tsp chopped garlic (I didn't have fresh on hand, just from the jar - I think fresh would have made a world of difference). Shook that in a container and added: 1 can black beans, 1 can corn, 6 roma tomatoes, very thinly sliced red onion & a good handful of chopped cilantro. The dressing was a bit too acidic - I added the sugar afterwards and that should make it better. But I do think fresh minced garlic would have balanced it out better too. It made a HUGE bowl of salad that should last us for a few days.

Tonight is Schnitzel with either roast or mashed potatoes and the leftover black bean & corn salad.

1 comment:

Beautiful Mess said...

You're making me hungry! Good work on your run/walk with your husband. I feel like such a beginning, mostly because I am, but STILL! I can't wait to read about your progress with your run. How exciting!