Monday, August 30, 2010

Fall Challenge

Oh-Em-GEE!

I know it's a bit early for Syl's challenge, but I've already recorded my current weight and measurements and I'm almost ashamed to share them (though I will .. soon).  Not because they are horrible or I think I'm disgusting, I'm still very proud of what I've accomplished and for the most part, maintained.  But, while I knew the scale was up and my clothes seem a little tighter than they used to be, somehow I didn't really realize that all those little numbers had gone up as much as they had.  Everything on me has expanded and I don't like it!  It's certainly a wake-up call.

However, I know that one of the first steps to change is acknowledging where you are at and holding yourself accountable.

Some of these numbers are even higher than they were the last time I started Syl's Shred Challenge.

I also know that I had some pretty decent success last time, and I think I will again.

This time I'm doing the challenge a little differently.  I will not vow to Shred every .. single .. day.  I'm just not wired for that.  I go insane doing the same workout day in and day out.  Plus I think my days of listening to Jillian on her DVD are over.  I have my cheat sheets for each level and I'd prefer to follow those while listening to music.

Instead my plan for September is something like this:

♥ Continue with my mileage build-up plan

Aug 29 - Sep 4:    17 mles
Sep 5 - Sep 11:    18 miles
Sep 12 - Sep 18:  14 miles
Sep 19 - Sep 25:  19 miles
Sep 26 - Oct 2  :  20 miles
      *total weekly miles for September-ish

♥ Do a "Shred style" workout minimum 4 days per week

This may or may not be Jillian Michaels Shred DVD.  But it will be a workout based upon the same sort of principles with a weight/cardio interval type mix.  Keeping that heart rate constantly elevated and doing challenging weight/plyo/strength moves.  Some workouts will be upper body based, others lower body, many mixed, and most will include core work.  This workout can also be substituted with a fitness class that is along the same principles (including Boot Camp).  I will try to post my workouts often.  I've done a bazillion and one fitness & boot camp classes in my life and can usually put together a decent workout.

♥ Activity Every Day

For me, this is the basis for this challenge.  Well, not only to be active, but to push myself and be active beyond what is "comfortable".  I firmly believe in being active most days of the week, even if that activity is just a light walk or a 10 min weight session.  But for this challenge, this will be a more aggressive type of active.  A fat burning, muscle building, endurance increasing type active.

While this is all being done in the name of a "challenge", really it's the way I want to live my life and what I want to achieve hear is habit.

For those doing this challenge ... buckle up, it's gonna be a wild ride

Keep Active!

Heidi
♥♥♥♥♥

10 comments:

kimert said...

Good luck! I know you will achieve all your goals!

Marlene said...

Sounds like this challenge combined with your rujnning will get you back to your "happy numbers" in no time!

Fran said...

Don't you just love what Syl has created with her challenge. I'm in too but I don't do the Shred but choose the 20 minutes activity per day challenge.

I love it that you're in it too and I look forward to seeing your progress and especially the strenght workouts you are going to post, I can learn from that.

Good luck and let's rock this challenge!

Syl said...

The more I hear from people the more I think we are all after the same thing, funny how my crazy little idea has exploded ;-). I'm looking forward to having you there and so funny that we are both back to weight watchers, Heidi 21 points I'm allowed, and let me tell you how hungry and cranky I am today ;-). The activity points will definately help ha ha!

99ToGo said...

I don't know why I didn't dig out my Shred yesterday when I was looking for something more fun to do then run on my treadmill or bike on the stationary bike...

It looks like Syl's challenge has come at a perfect time for you then! Keeping accountable for a lifetime, one little day at a time :)

Fran said...

I've read your comment on Syl's blog that you added new pages to your blog and I came over for a sneak preview. Looks good Heidi!

Marcelle said...

I'm also doing my own thing as I dont have the DVD...I have decided to add an extra 20 mins to whatever workout I'm doing that day and to do the 20 mins on my usual off day...
Good luck to us

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your challenge! And those miles are looking great!

Julie said...

Good luck to you Heidi! You can do it! I have faith in you:)

Nej said...

The Shred workout. Can't say as that I've ever heard of it...but might just have to check it out. LOVE the cheat sheets! Doing it with music (after learning the basic moves) seems much more appealing to me as well. Good luck!!! :-)